2013

42 comments

I find that having goals to focus on throughout the year really makes me push myself and work harder, so I am all for New Years Goals. 2011 was the year of reading and I read 25 books. 2012 was the year of sewing at least one Colette garment a month. If you look at the list of garments I sewed here, it's safe to say that I surpassed that number.

2013 is going to be the year that I focus on quality instead of quantity. Last year I felt so rushed to complete garments and didn't take the time to learn new techniques. Well, I did learn some new techniques, but not as many as I could have learned. This year I will probably make fewer garments and blog less, but will hopefully end up with beautiful clothes, inside and out :)

While I may not complete all the items on the list below, I would like to put a good dent into it. Some techniques I would like to learn and some items I would like to sew are:
  • Bound button holes.
  • "Tricky" fabrics.
  • Pants, specifically Juniper.
  • The Anise jacket (I have never made a jacket).
  • Jeans.
  • Sew more separates.
  • The Bombshell dress.
  • Lapped zippers.
  • Matching stripes, checks, and patterns.
  • Altering existing patterns (changing the neckline, adding a collar, mixing different pieces from different patterns, etc.)
  • Trying new pattern designers and companies.
  • Drafting a couple of simple patterns for myself.
I would also like to say "thank you" to everyone for a great last year. 2012 was the year that I met the most sewing bloggers online and in person and for that I feel so lucky! You guys are my main inspiration, the people I go to for help and support, and most importantly, my friends. I'm glad that I have found a place that I can write about what interests me (sewing) and have other people that "get" me. Thank you!!!

42 comments :

  1. I'm going to hire you to make me the juniper pants!! So cute! I love your bravery and creativity, you inspire me and I'm so happy to be your friend! Yay for 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should sew it together! We can help each other. Well, I'm not sure how much help I will be considering I have never made pants before :/

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a plan to me! So happy to have met you!! Looking forward to seeing those bound buttonholes! I considered them for the Beignet but as always I'm too in a hurry to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Beignet has so many buttons! I don't blame you!

      Delete
  3. The bombshell dress is also on my list of dresses to tackle!!! We should try to work through it together :) Yay 2013!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 2013! And, beautiful image up there at the top of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, ambitious goals! And I love your idea to make LESS. I feel pressure to make things faster cos others bloggers are so speedy.. but if we rush, we're just cheating ourselves in a way :)
    Thanks for being part of the cool sewing blogoverse in 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too will be focusing on quality over quantity this year, so we're in it together ;o) I love the simplicity of your 2013 goals, which I'm sure you'll more than make a dent in. Can't wait to follow your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marie! I feel like we should have buttons for our blog that say, "Quality over quantity" or something :)

      Delete
  7. Those are some great goals! I still haven't finished the bombshell! I lost weight in between but its such a great dress it would be a shame to waste it!
    Looks like Anise and Juniper are in a lot of peoples goals this year! Maybe we should do a little linkup between a few blogs, spur eachother on!
    Happy New Year Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Stevie!!! Which one are you working on first?

      Delete
  8. I have the Anise and Bombshell on my list too, but for now focussing on a travel wardrobe for my trip in February! Good luck with your plans in 2013, I am looking forward to tracking your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhhhhh that Bombshell Dress is PERFECT! I'm back at work today, and wishing I could run out and search for the perfect fabric. I'll probably just daydream about it all day.....picture me rollin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah you're like me at work :) I just dream about fabrics all day!

      Delete
  10. great plans! I love my Anise jacket and I'm really sad I didn't get to wear it too much before it got too cold! She's coming back out in the Spring tho! How about a Juniper sewalong? I have the pattern and fabric but I'm scared of fitting trousers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, a Juniper sew along would be awesome!! I also have the fabric and pattern, but I'm afraid of pants :(

      Delete
  11. A lovely list! Many happy sewing hours in 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You need to change the picture of your best friend!! You have upgraded! You know my goals, because I share them with you every time we talk.. hahaha. I can't wait to see your new creations this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love a lapped zipper! It remains my favorite of all zipper applications, and I use it on all of my skirts. :) My favorite instructions come from the softcover Singer Sewing Essentials handbook. Great color photos and simple, easy to understand instructions. (Actually that whole book is a little gem.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Erin! I look forward to learning and being inspired by your posts. Thank you for encouraging me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you know that I'm all about quality vs quantity. If your previous years are any indication of this year, you're going to tackle your goals... no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 2013! I know you can meet & exceed your goals! I'm with Maddie: quality over quantity, all the way! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy 2013! I love your list and your focus on quality-- I'm right there with you! The Anise is my first big project of the new year... I'm a little scared, to be honest! I've never attempted something so time-consuming before!

    Looking forward to seeing what you make this year!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol I could just copy your post and put it into my blog - it's pretty much what I want to do this year - I make stuff but end up rushing or settling for 'OK' when I get frustrated...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an awesome list! I really want to make the bombshell dress too... I must have watched all the classes about 5 times, but always chicken out of actually making the dress... maybe this year?

    (ummm, just to let you know, I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog award!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for the tip!!! I will definitely use that tutorial! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on such a great list of achievements and knowing what you want to do and learn in 2013.
    I've really enjoyed reading your blog too.

    ReplyDelete