Peony dress

43 comments
This weekend's adventure led me to Santa Barbara, a place I don't visit too often. You would think that since it takes under an hour and a half to drive there that I would be more familiar with it, but I'm not. I feel kind of "meh" about Santa Barbara. 

I wore my Peony dress for the trip and I am SO happy to have completed it! The dress is not hard at all to sew, but fitting it is much more tricky. I'm embarrassed to tell you how many muslins I made and I am still not one hundred percent happy with how the dress turned out. Why? See below.

It doesn't look too bad in the first photo, but I still have fitting issues with my dress. The upper part of the bodice isn't as loose as my wearable muslin, but the lower part is still so wrinkly. It got to the point where I had to just work with what I had and tell myself that this is a project I will have to come back to in the future. There is no point in being angry and pissy over a dress, sewing should be fun!

There are a few things I like about the dress. One, is the color. It's a perfect green, or at least I think it is! Two, I learned so much from this dress. I learned how to make a narrow shoulder adjustment, how to make darts that flatter the bust, and how to move darts. These are all valuable techniques that I will probably need in the future and thanks to this dress I know them inside and out :)

While we were shopping, my husband and I went into American Apparel to buy a few things and the girl ringing us up made my day. I was secretly feeling insecure about wearing the dress, but when she saw me she asked me to back up from the register because she wanted to look at my dress. She said she really liked it! :)!!! It made me feel sooo much better. I tend to be pretty hard on myself when it comes to sewing and her compliment reminded me of that. 

The day finished with some Pinkberry yogurt, yum! The weather has been in the 90s today, so I keep daydreaming about my yogurt from yesterday.

43 comments :

  1. no use being pissy about sewing a dress... I LOVE IT. and you are too damn cute in that green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your Peony turned out!! You should be really proud of yourself for sticking it through :) I only had the patience for two muslins before I got pissy and said screw it lol.

    That's a great color on you too! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rochelle! There were many times I wanted to throw in the towel though...

      Delete
  3. ditto, love the green on you! way to finish Erin :)
    Every time I wear my maxi dress with the back fitting issues I get compliments on it--we are much too hard on ourselves. It's time to appreciate all the things you did right: color, darts, style, etc!! You look darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Qui, you always leave the most thoughtful comments and I really appreciate it! xo

      Delete
  4. it's okay to give yourself a break from a pattern, and it's also good to remember to not be too hard on yourself! the dress looks good and hopefully you can enjoy it! meanwhile, time to move on... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. I'm moving on to the Chelsea dress. Maybe you have heard of it? ;)

      Delete
  5. Pissy sewing..been there, done that! Not a good combo. The dress looks great on you. That green is def your color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's lovely. The green is gorgeous! Would it be easier (next time, ha) to take a well-fitting bodice pattern and trace off the Peony neckline? Hmmm. I haven't gotten to mine yet. I'm leery of fitting it and I might just take this avenue myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if that will work, but it's something to think about when I make my next dress..

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I get so obsessed with all the wrinkles and what they may mean. But, then I look at people on the streets (and celebrities...I don't look at them often, but I do see pictures of them) and I notice that not everyone has perfectly fitted clothes. Of course it is nice to have perfectly fitted clothes and it's why I started sewing in the first place. I think there needs to be a point in a sewing project where you have to just say "enough is enough" and cut into your fashion fabric. Besides, next time you make it, you will be able to make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it turned out great! I agree it's a perfect green.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too have set Peony aside...despite loving it, it just isn't worth all of the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful dress, just a little frustrating for someone like me that isn't the best at fitting :( But that's how we learn, right?

      Delete
  10. it looks fabulous! Not to mention how amazing it makes your boobs look. Which hopefully doesn't sound to creepy from newbee to the blog ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  11. That colour is rad I love it, looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pissy sewing, that's usually when I ruin a project. Well done for pushing through. You look very cute. I love that shade of green.
    And I would also love some of that yoghurt please. Unfortunately it's freezing cold here in the UK already and fro-yo time is long gone :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      It's funny how much the weather can change. Today it's in the low sixties and I'm cold haha.

      Delete
  13. Oh that color is amazing and you learn so much that all the hard work it's worth it.. We tend to over fit and be our worst critic... You done really well my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous dress! You really did a fantastic job! Joan Holloway Harris is madly jealous right now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really gorgeous, and the colour is beautiful. I agree with the comments about being to hard on yourself - I'm good at doing that too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too had my frustrations with this dress so I can sympathize, but as you said, each time we learn something even if we don't realize it right away :) Experiences are so much more valuable than being perfect & each one brings us closer to that perfect fit! :)

    Also I'm not normally a fan of green but I LOVE this shade!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely agree - it's the perfect shade of green. You've done really well on the dress and the fit, I think - we tend to be our harshest critics, and you're right, sewing should be fun :) I hope you get to wear this often and you keep getting compliments from fabulous sales people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will definitely be wearing it this holiday season :)

      Delete
  18. Haha, you are so right. Getting pissy over a dress is silly, and I do it ALL the time, I admit. Haha you made me laugh though. Pissy is such a funny word :)
    This looks really cool. I'm glad you could forgive its flaws and it's awesome that someone gave you a compliment on it! Proof it rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guilty of pissy sewing, but then I have to give myself a reality check haha

      Delete
  19. Well, I really like the dress and I love the green. I'm also a little meh about Santa Barbara....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your Peony, it really is the perfect shade of green! And you're definitely being too hard with yourself, I'm with the shop assistant...this dress rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i really like this version. i think the deep green makes it chic! really classy in a solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dixie! And the green will be perfect for the holidays! :)

      Delete
  22. I love your version! Such a gorgeous color on you. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, this turned out so cute! I do love that color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks way cute on you! I really like it!

    ReplyDelete