Pastille muslin

10 comments

How are all of you doing with your muslins? I'm not doing so well, BUT I know how to fix things, so that is a start. Here is where it all went wrong: I traced my pattern onto freezer paper and when cutting the fabric I assumed that the skirt back and bodice back were supposed to be cut on the fold. Wrong! I got to the part where I was supposed to insert the zipper and realized that I was a dumb dumb, but got over it and moved forward with sewing the bottom pleats.


The finished muslin is way too baggy on me, but once I actually install a zipper I think everything will fit better (have to take those seam allowances into consideration). Another muslin is in the works.

I got bummed because I kept looking at the front of the book and noticing how well the dress fit the model, when I realized that I don't want my dress to fit exactly like that. Let's keep it real, I want a slightly looser fit so I can sit comfortably and do fun stuff like eat pizza and not feel like my dress is too tight afterwards :)

_____________________________________________________
Schedule for sewing the Pastille dress designed by Colette Patterns.
February 2nd: Sewing the muslin - using washers
February 6th-11th: Fitting techniques and making a croquis.
February 16th: Choosing fabric
February 23rd: Sewing the final dress
February 29th: Pastille Parade

10 comments :

  1. Pizza wiggle room is just good planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the joys of muslin making! It's so nice to see that I am not the only one who has hiccups on the way :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have MANY hiccups, I just don't post about them. If I did then I would have enough to fill a book :)

      Delete
  3. I've been burned by the 'assuming it's on the fold' thing too. Tricksy! Looks like you've done pretty well on the pleats around the hem :) Looking forward to seeing the final product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is more work to be done, but I really like this dress and I want to make it work.

      Delete
  4. Awesome!!! Love the pleats! I have accidentally cut things on the fold, too, when I wasn't supposed to.

    I love your idea of sewing your dress with enough room for pizza! You are a genius, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my best Jerri Blank "Pizza! Pizza! Pizza!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh yes, I've been cursing the cover dress too!! I think I'm getting somewhere on my many fitting issues and then I catch a glance at that wrinkle-free wonder and sigh lol. I'm doing mine in sateen with a bit of stretch for pizza room! lol

    ReplyDelete